Bloomingdale Park Board President Sebastian "Buzz" Puccio was honored as the Commissioner of the Year at the Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park & Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference held January 18-20 at the Chicago Hilton.PICTURE: (From left) Illinois State Senator, 23rd District, Tom Cullerton, Bloomingdale Park District Executive Director Carrie Fullerton, Bloomingdale Park Board Commissioner Mike Vogl, Park Board President Buzz Puccio, Park Board Treasurer Jerry Marshall, Illinois State Representative Christine Winger, 45th District, Park Board Vice President Andre Burke and Park Board Commissioner Karen Johns.
Puccio has consistently contributed to the public service efforts in the Bloomingdale community since 1977. His name is synonymous with leadership and service in Bloomingdale. His varied experience, leadership and strong boardsmanship skills have helped significantly develop and advance the mission and vision of both the Bloomingdale Park District and the Village of Bloomingdale.
His service to the Village of Bloomingdale began in 1977 when he was appointed to the Plan Commission & Zoning Board of Appeals. In 1981 he was named Chairman to both commissions. In 1983, he was appointed a village trustee, where he served until 1989. During this time many housing developments began to occupy Bloomingdale, along with the development of Stratford Square Mall.
Over the years some of Buzz's other community accomplishments included:
- Founding of the Westlake Townhome Citizen Action Party
- Serving as the Civic Committee Chairman for his townhome association
- Serving on the townhome association board of directors for five years
- Serving on the steering committee for the Bloomingdale Youth Commission
Buzz served the Bloomingdale Park District from 1993-2001 and again from 2005-present; for a total of 20 years of service. He has served as the president of the Park Board from 2010-present.
Over the years some of Buzz's more significant park district accomplishments include:
- Oversight of OSLAD grants for Springfield Park, Lakeview Park and Circle Park
- Oversight of a Department of Commerce grant for the Homola Picnic Shelter
- Oversight of several park/playground renovations including Erie Park, Seasons Four Park, Tompkins Park and Sunnyside Park
- Oversight of the accessible renovation to the Johnston Recreation Center, which included a much-needed elevator for residents with special needs and mobility issues
- Managed board-level negotiations on inter-govermental agreements with the Village of Bloomingdale for the lease of Old Town Park, with School District 13 for construction and use of a community gymnasium, and with Bloomingdale Township for maintenance of certain park district natural areas.
- Led the Park Board through a detailed process to hire the Park District's third executive director in 50 years.
- Made significant contributions to the application and efforts that led to the agency winning the National Gold Medal Award in 2006
- Presented collaborative sessions at the IPRA leadership Academy on working with park boards
- Selected as an IAPD Living Legend
Buzz's most recent, and significant accomplishment was realized November 8, 2016 when the Bloomingdale Park District passed a $9.9 million referendum in capital bonds for repairs, maintenance and improvements to park district properties that were identified by residents as their key priorities.
Buzz is the president of Consolidated Display, Inc., which is a family-held corporation specializing in visual merchandising, holiday decorations and motion picture special effects.