Bloomingdale Park District Executive Director Carrie Fullerton was presented with the Illinois Association of Park Districts' (IAPD) Honored Professional Award at the 2019 IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference held January 23-26 at the Chicago Hyatt Regency.
Over the course of her career, Carrie has contributed greatly to the industry. She has served IAPD and the Illinois Park & Recreation Association in numerous capacities, among them board member, board chair, board secretary, continuing education chair, finance committee member, and legislative breakfast coordinator. Since 1997, she has presented many conference sessions. Having attended the University of Illinois, she has served on the Department of Leisure Studies Advisory Board and Graduate Advisory Committee. Carrie is presently a member of the Western DuPage Special Recreation Association Board of Directors. At the national level, she chaired the the National Recreation & Park Association National Revenue School and has spoken at several park and recreation conference sessions, most recently in Colorado, Georgia, and Alabama.
Her published articles are myriad. In 2002, IP&R Magazine awarded her article “Best Marketing Article” of the year. Other contributions include:
- “Recreation Services Should Be Convenient for Customers,” Athletic Business Magazine (Co-author)
- “If You Make It Convenient They Will Come,” NRPA’s Parks & Recreation Magazine (Co-author)
- “The Best Intern,” IPRA Web Extra (Co-author)
- “What’s the Best Way to Assess Success?” IPRA Communications and Marketing Section Get the Message Newsletter
- “Member Retention and Senior Programming,” LERN Session Speaker
- “Bringing in the New Senior,” IP&R Magazine (Co-author)
- “Member Retention” and “Road to Referendum,” IPRA Conference Session Speaker
Among Carrie’s awards:
- University of Illinois’s Joseph Bannon Practitioner Award
- NRPA Great Lakes Region Outstanding Professional of the Year
- American Academy of Park & Recreation Administration’s Young Professional
- IPRA Professional of the Year and Facility Management Section’s Professional of the Year
- Member of the American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration
- Aquatics International’s “Power 25” leaders in the leisure industry
Besides being a consummate professional, Carrie is a loyal employee, trusted friend and loving and caring wife and mother to her husband, Paul, and their four children.